Orthopedic Leaders Showcase Their Ability to Transform Their Service Lines in an Era of Unprecedented Change
Las Vegas, NV — March 26, 2015 — OrthoServiceLine.com, a leading national resource to the orthopedic community sponsored by Wellbe, today announced that five healthcare organizations have been selected as finalists in the Ortho Transformation Awards competition.
With the industry’s push to implement value-based care, orthopedic service line leaders are under immense pressure to change their systems and processes to be resilient and adaptable to payment reform and new models of care.
The five finalists are healthcare providers that have demonstrated their ability to transform their orthopedic programs (in no particular order):
- South Shore Hospital in South Weymouth engaged a multidisciplinary team and used LEAN principles to evaluate and improve the total joint replacement episode of care as measured by quality, patient satisfaction and cost metrics.
- Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga put together a dedicated, highly effective, efficient, elective orthopedic team and operating room setup to counterbalance orthopedic trauma growth.
- Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown created an orthopedic specialty hospital focused on exceptional patient experience, high clinical quality, and benchmark level efficiencies.
- Dean Clinic/SSM Healthcare created a highly collaborative, integrated network of orthopedic practices and hospital-based joint replacement centers across South Central Wisconsin.
- Providence Orthopedic Institute piloted the first bundled care package for joint replacement services in Oregon including all related care provided 30 days before surgery, during hospitalization, and 90 days post-surgery with a warranty.
Judges selected the five finalists based on a number of criteria, including the size of the challenge undertaken, the use of teamwork, and final results including any metrics. Judging was conducted by an expert panel of thought leaders and market innovators, including:
- Cecily Lohmar, founding Principal with New Heights Group
- Kristi Crowe, Associate Vice President and Orthopedic Service Line Leader at Sg2
- Maeghan Nicholson, Director of Marketing at Wellbe and Editor of OrthoServiceLine.com
- Miki Patterson, PHD ONP, Senior Director of Orthopedics in Intelligent CareDesign at Intralign
“We created this award because we saw a lot of hard work going on in orthopedic departments across the country and wanted to recognize the industry leaders who have achieved great results,” said Nicholson.
After a second round of judging next week, one grand prize winning team will receive a trophy, a catered team lunch, and for the nominator/leader: a scholarship to the orthopedic education meeting of their choice (e.g. NAON, AAOS, AAOE).
OrthoServiceLine.com is a free online resource for orthopaedic service line leaders designed to give them actionable insights and ideas to grow, improve, and streamline their programs. OrthoServiceLine.com is sponsored by Wellbe.
About Wellbe (http://www.wellbe.me)
Wellbe, the inventor of the cloud-based Guided CarePath®, works with health providers to engage patients as partners in their episodes of care. Our Guided CarePaths empower patients to learn and take the actions required to achieve better outcomes at lower costs. High-performing hospitals use Wellbe’s Connected Care solutions to improve the experience and efficiency of helping patients to succeed with their medical treatments and surgeries.